We know that being a Landlord, particularly for the first time, can be a daunting experience.
Our dedicated team will guide you through the whole process. Debbie Turner, Head of Lettings, is ARLA trained and, with over 28 years of Lettings experience under her belt, the department is in safe hands. Our clients value our expertise and the connections that we have made with our local community. Be assured that we will do everything we can to maximise your financial venture, from advising you on how best to present your property to attracting the right Tenants and keeping you up to date with the ever-changing rental market and legislation. We have built a reputation we are proud of.
As rents rise, so do Tenants’ expectations. Leave the hard work to us. When you instruct us to let your property you can be confident that our bespoke client service means that handing over your keys to your perfectly-matched Tenant will be a stress-free experience.
Looking to Buy to Let?
In recent years, Buy to Let has become a booming business. If you have the means available to you, property is one of the safest investments. Whilst there is inevitably some risk involved, if you do your homework the return can be twofold; the rental will help to cover the mortgage and you should receive capital growth on your investment.
Buying to let is a business venture. At DOMVS, we have the know-how to advise you every step of the way, from sourcing the property and help with refurbishing, if necessary, to matching you and your property to the perfect Tenant. We will work with you to create a forward-thinking business model, enabling you to take control of the growth of your investment.
The legislation concerning tenanted properties is ever changing and it’s paramount that your property is always compliant. We provide ongoing support and management options to keep you up to speed and to keep you and your Tenant protected.
We very much like to meet potential investors and offer a property-finding service to help you find the right property to Let. We welcome the opportunity to come along with you to view potential investment properties and share our professional opinion.
An empty property is of no benefit to a Landlord, and appearances really do count. The moment a Tenant steps into the property they will have an idea of whether they can see themselves living there. A touch of paint to the front door and a fresh neutral colour scheme throughout offer a versatile backdrop for any prospective Tenant to consider how their belongings might look in situ. Neutral flooring and carpet is an appealing feature to a Tenant – it is worth selecting a carpet that is easily cleaned and cost-effectively replaced, as accidents do sometimes happen. If lightbulbs have lost their glow, replace them. All these things demonstrate that this Landlord cares, and are likely to appeal to a Tenant who wants to make your property a cosy home.
Give some thought to the exact date you would like to let your property. We recommend introducing your property to the market six to eight weeks beforehand and, with our marketing and advertising campaigns, we will attract the very best Tenants.
Consider the cost of being a Landlord. Be prepared for any unexpected maintenance costs, don’t get caught out with unexpected expense.
The Lettings market can move quickly, so be prepared to allow Tenants to view your property at short notice – and it does pay to be flexible with your move date.
Be assured that we will keep you up to date with the ever-changing Lettings legislation. We are experts in our field; we can advise you on all the important things that keeps you and your Tenant safe. As a Landlord, here are a few things you need to be aware of:
- Arrange an annual gas safety check – does your cosy gas fire pass the Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate?
- Fit smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms using coal or wood to warm them up. Make sure that these alarms are tested at the start of a new tenancy.
- Consider whether you need an Electrical Safety Certificate. We can provide you with all the information to ensure that you are legally compliant and aren’t at risk of any surprising fines.
- Does that cosy sofa have safety labels attached? If you are letting furnished, make sure your furniture complies with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 and 2010).
- If a deposit is taken, it is a Landlord’s duty to ensure this is protected.
Arrange for an inventory to be drawn up. They say the devil is in the detail, and this couldn’t truer when letting a property. Gone are the days when a handwritten note will suffice. A comprehensive inventory is the best way to minimise the risk of a dispute at the end of tenancy. Inventories need to be drawn up whether a property is being let furnished or unfurnished. Everything within the property needs to be recorded and photographed, including fixtures and fittings such as kitchen units and work surfaces, as well as carpets and décor. Should there be any existing damage, this must also be recorded.
DOMVS Lettings is a member of the Property Ombudsmen Redress Scheme.
DOMVS is a member of (CMP) Client Money Protection Scheme.
DOMVS uses a tenancy agreement designed to protect your rights to possession and to help control the tenant’s activities, whilst ensuring that all terms are fair to both Tenant and Landlord, thus making sure you comply with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Our tenancy agreements are regularly updated to include the ever-changing legislation.
|Fully Managed||Rent Collection||Let Only|
|Bespoke Marketing Strategy||✓||✓||✓|
|Accompanied Viewings and Feedback||✓||✓||✓|
|Handling all Negotiations||✓||✓||✓|
|Arranging references, credit check and right2rent checks||✓||✓||✓|
|Preparation of the Tenancy Agreement||✓||✓||✓|
|*Arranging the Check-In/Inventory||✓||✓||✓|
|Tenancy Deposit Administration||✓||✓||✓*|
|Handing Over Keys to Tenant||✓||✓||✓|
|Transfer of Utilities||✓||✓||✗|
|Renewal of Tenancy||✓||✓||✗|
|Arranging Safety Inspections||✓||✓||✗|
|Routine Maintenance and Repairs||✓||✗||✗|
|Payment of Outgoings||✓||✗||✗|
|Periodic Management Visits||✓||✗||✗|
|*additional fees may apply|
|Let Only Service||80% of one months renal plus VAT (96% inclusive of VAT) (Subject to min fee of £600.00 inclusive of VAT)|
|Rent Collection Service||10% of the monthly rental plus VAT (12% inclusive of VAT)|
|Fully Managed Service||14% of the monthly rental plus VAT (16.8% inclusive of VAT)|
|Set up fee for Managed & Rent Collection Service only||£250 inclusive of VAT|
|Withdrawal Fee||up to £500.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Extra Property Visits||£75.00 per visit inclusive of VAT|
|Tenancy Agreement||£160.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Renewal of Tenancy||£80.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Service of Notice||£72.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Visits during Void Periods||£75.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Supervise refurbishment/repairs||12% of the total cost of work inclusive of VAT|
|DPS Registration (non Managed Properties)||£60.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Prepare Documents for Court/Dilapidation Claims||£150.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Court Attendance||£120.00 per hour inclusive of VAT|
|Annual Duplicate Statements||£60.00 inclusive of VAT|
|EPC||£80.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Professional Photography & Floor Plan||From £140.00 inclusive of VAT|
|EPC, Professional Photography & Floor Plan||From £190.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Professional Inventory/Schedule of Condition||From £100.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Sales Commission||1.5% of the sold price plus VAT (1.8% inclusive of VAT)|
Fully Managed Service
This service is for Landlords who wish their agent to deal with the day-to-day management of their property and choose not to deal directly with the tenant themselves.
Rent Collection Service
This service is suitable for Landlords who feel they are able to deal with the day to day maintenance of their property, but require an agent to collect the monthly rent.
Let Only Service
This service is for Landlords who prefer to manage their own property.
GUIDANCE NOTES FOR PROSPECTIVE TENANTS
- Once you have found a suitable property through DOMVS a reference fee of £75.00 inc VAT per applicant and an administration fee of £180.00 Inc. VAT per property is payable upon receiving a completed application. This fee includes negotiating the terms of the tenancy and all the necessary paperwork including the tenancy agreement and check out. These fees are non-refundable should you wish to withdraw your application. Please note however, should your application be refused either by DOMVS, the Landlord or the Referencing Company the administration fee will be refunded.
- The granting of a tenancy will be subject to approved references which may be collated by a third party Referencing Company. In some cases a guarantor may be required. Full financial references will be required for the guarantor at a charge of £75.00 inc VAT), and a Deed of Guarantee will also have to be signed. The cost of a deed of guarantee will be £72.00 inc VAT.
- All tenants and guarantors must provide proof of (photographic) identification and proof of residency.
- All tenants must also have a Right to Rent check carried out. To enable us to do this check we need to see you in person and the following documents will need to be produced, your Passport together with any residency permit (if applicable). Should you not have a passport, please contact us to discuss which other documents may be suitable. The tenancy cannot commence unless this check has been carried out.
- A Deposit will be required (usually equivalent to six weeks rent) this will be payable prior to the commencement of the tenancy and is held for the duration of the tenancy. The deposit will be registered with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) www.depositprotection.com, within 30 days of the commencement of the tenancy, or receipt of the deposit whichever is earlier. For further information on Tenancy Deposit Protection please click on the website www.communities.gov.uk/tenancydeposit. Please note that no interest will be paid on the deposit.
- The deposit and first month’s rent must be paid to us by BACS payment or Bankers Draft. The tenancy cannot commence until cleared funds have been received.
- All properties are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy basis unless otherwise agreed.
- Should a tenancy be renewed for a further fixed term, a renewal fee will be payable. This fee is currently £72.00 inc VAT.
- Rent is payable monthly in advance by Standing Order direct to DOMVS (for managed and Rent Collection properties. Payment will be direct to the Landlord for our Let Only Service. Rent is always due on a given date, a Late Payment charge will be made should the rental be 7 or more days late. This fee is £25.00 per letter sent.
- All property rents exclude water/sewerage charges, gas, electricity, telephone, Council Tax and television licence, unless otherwise stated.
- We recommend that you have adequate insurance to cover accidental damage to the Landlords fixtures and fittings.
- Redress Scheme – DOMVS Lettings is a member of The Property Ombudsman redress scheme
Charges which may be incurred throughout the tenancy
|Referencing Fee per applicant (includes credit check)||£75.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Administration charge (per Property, includes negotiating tenancy, tenancy agreement and check-out fee)||£180.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Guarantor referencing fee||£75.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Deed of Guarantee (guarantor charge)||£72.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Renewal of tenancy||£72.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Addendum to Tenancy Agreement||£72.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Change of Sharer, includes negotiating term, tenancy agreement and referencing||£255.00 inclusive of VAT|
|Late Rental charge||£25.00 per letter|
|Refund overpaid rental due to failure to cancel standing order||£30.00 per refund|
All tenants must undergo a Right to Rent check.
A deposit will be required (usually equivalent to six weeks’ rent), and this will be payable prior to the commencement of the tenancy and is held for the duration of the tenancy. The deposit will be registered with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS), www.depositprotection.com, within 30 days of the commencement of the tenancy or receipt of the deposit, whichever is earlier. For further information on Tenancy Deposit Protection, please click on the website link: www.communities.gov.uk/tenancydeposit. Please note that no interest will be paid on the deposit.
All properties are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy basis unless otherwise agreed.
Should a tenancy be renewed for a further fixed term, a renewal fee will be payable. This fee is currently £60.00 inc. VAT.
The deposit and first month’s rent must be paid to us either by banker’s draft or BACS transfer. The tenancy cannot commence until cleared funds have been received. The Rent is payable monthly in advance by standing order direct to DOMVS (if we are managing the property), or direct to the Landlord for our Let Only service. Rent is always due on a given date; a late payment charge will be made should the rental be 7 or more days late. This fee is £30.00 inc. VAT per letter sent.
All property rents exclude water/sewerage charges, gas, electricity, telephone, council tax and television licence, unless otherwise stated.
We recommend that you have adequate insurance to cover accidental damage to the landlord’s fixtures and fittings.
DOMVS Lettings is a member of The Property Ombudsman redress scheme.
DOMVS is a member of (CMP) Client Money Protection Scheme.
The Rental Process
Just as with buying a property, renting a property is just as much about the tenant as it is the property.
We are always upfront with all costs and fees.
If you decide to move out, it’s important to make sure you leave the property in the condition in which you found it.
Hear from People Who have Bought or Sold with DOMVS
Debbie Turner conducted our initial appointment with complete professionalism; we would recommend Domvs Lettings unhesitatingly. Complete professionalism with friendliness: a successful combination!
23rd Apr 2017