Dorset’s Increasing Desire for Homes with Income Potential
Written By Trish Ashby-Rudd, DOMVS Estate Agents in Wareham
With every season, there are different property trends to emerge. These tend to change gradually over time, but can be more pronounced when there are social, political or financial implications. The pandemic, for example, has caused some of the biggest shifts I’ve witnessed in my years as an estate agent.
The first biggest change we saw was early in 2020 after the first lockdown, when nearly every new buyer registering their requirements with DOMVS estate agents in Wareham was looking for additional office space or a larger garden. A lack of either of these was very much a motivator for selling up and moving house locally. More recently however, we have seen a new trend emerge, so strongly, that it has featured as a requirement for roughly 55% of recent registrations for new properties – and that’s homes with income potential.
The ‘AirBnB effect’ has firmly taken hold and it’s no surprise, given how attractive Wareham, and the surrounding Purbeck area, is to holiday makers. A rise in domestic holidays, in response to the pandemic, has also contributed to Dorset’s appeal, and house-buyers are keen to capitalise on this opportunity and invest in homes with income potential. This includes both local buyers and those relocating to Dorset from London; with the latter tending to be more amenable to a shared-home lifestyle. Today’s buyers realise that by stretching their borrowing power, they could more than pay for the increased repayments when the anticipated income potential is taken into consideration from say, an annex, outbuilding, or land for a shepherd hut, for example.
As is often the case, the property market has responded to demand, and we’re currently in the process of selling a variety of properties that would suit the new trend of seeking homes with income potential. In fact, almost half of our available homes come with income potential, with a selection shown below:
Available Homes With Income Potential
- The Old Forge has a lovely Annex and is available for offers over £595,000. Click here for more details.
- The Old Vicarage has a lovely Annex, is available for offers over £825,000 and will be launching soon.
- Churchfield House has the potential to annex part of the house and is available for £950,000. Click here for more details.
- Honeysuckle Cottage has potential to annex above the garage. Click here for more details. Now Sold STC.
- North Fossil Farm has potential to annex off the home office. Click here for more details.
- The Old Bakery has holiday letting income potential, close to Corfe Castle. Click here for more details.
- Meadow Barn – Vendors say, “It has been a very successful holiday business investment for us.” Click here to learn more. Now Sold STC.
- Bronte Cottage was previously listed on Corfe & Purbeck Holidays as a holiday let. Now exchanged.
- Limekiln – The most glorious of position; total privacy and extraordinary far-reaching views. It has been treated as a self-catering holiday accommodation and offers great income potential. Click here to learn more.
- Abilee – The back gate leads to a coastal path and provides wonderful views that any potential holidaymakers will adore. Coming soon to market for offers over £425,000.
Successful Homes With Income Potential
Speaking of Shepherd Huts; have you heard of our ALMANAC friends at Purbeck Shepherd Huts? They build and rent Shepherd Huts on the Isle of Purbeck and have beautiful accommodation available on their website.