Rosemary Rogers’ shares her beef-in-beer casserole
This is a delicious, warming casserole for cold winter nights. I especially love it because the quantity of each ingredient can be adjusted according to personal taste. If you would like to make this meal even more special, serve with gratin potatoes and a medley of vegetables.
For the beef:
- 1.5kg braising steak
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into chunks (or you can use whole baby carrots)
- Splash of sunflower oil
- 440ml Guinness
- 1 tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprig of thyme
- 12 button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp muscovado sugar
For the dumplings:
- 110g self-raising flour
- 50g shredded suet
- 1 small white onion, grated
1. Begin by chopping the onions and frying in a heavy-based saucepan until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, fry your diced meat, browning and sealing on each side, a few pieces at a time.
3. Return to the pan with the onions and add the Guinness, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, herbs, garlic and muscovado sugar. Bring to the boil.
4. Either reduce the heat and simmer until tender, or place in a low oven until tender (approx. 2 hours). Once cooked, remove the meat, carrots and mushrooms. Cover and keep warm.
5. To make the dumplings combine the ingredients and add enough water to bring it all together and for it to be elastic in consistency. Divide into about 12 small pieces to roll into dumplings.
6. Place the dumplings into the gravy, bring to the boil on the hob and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove the dumplings.
7. If desired, thicken the gravy with flour. You will need to mix a little flour with some cold water first to form a paste. Add this to the boiling gravy, stirring continuously until the desired consistency is achieved.
8. Return the meat and vegetables to the gravy, season with salt and pepper and serve with a green vegetable and mashed potatoes.
To discuss your catering needs with Rosemary, please visit: facebook.com/RosemaryRogersCatering